Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Design is about everything.

Sometimes I feel like I won't be good enough. There are so many people out there, especially in this recession, going to school [for Graphic Design]. And if you live in Portland, everyone has some kind of creative edge, so what do you have that other people don't? I ask that question to myself every day. Maybe I don't have an edge on everyone else. Yet. But I guess, in a way, starting this blog is a way to have that edge.
I can't get design out of my mind. I find myself analyzing and picking apart everything I see. Logos, brochures, cereal boxes at the grocery store, receipts, EVERYTHING. But after reading this article, it gave me a little bit of hope. If I'm not constantly dissecting everything I see, then what am I doing? 
I have also been reading Seventy-nine Short Essays on Design by Michael Bierut for the past couple of weeks, and it's already inspired me to new levels. I'm not finished yet, not even half way through, but it's inspiring to me in so many ways. Bierut ends a chapter saying, "Not everything is design. But design is about everything. So do yourself a favor: Be ready for anything." I feel that it leads into the next chapter, which in a round-about way, explains that design isn't just about design. Design is about literature... It's about science, the local farmer's market, math club, economics, music, recycling, etc... In order to design well, you need to understand the components of what you are designing for.
After reading some of these essays, exploring design websites, and maaaybe playing a little bit of TypeWar, it makes me feel a little bit better that I will one day be a successful designer. There are many things I want to learn in my life. I need to remember I'm young and still have many years ahead of me to do so. With Graphic Design as my future, I feel that it will go hand-in-hand with each other and I will be able to do what I love, while constantly learning new things until the day I die.

5 comments:

  1. I think you have the right idea Sarah. There are good "x,y, and z" on EVERY corner, and all of them want work. Doesn't matter the field. This looks like a great book I could learn from as well. Being well versed in a lot can take you to great and wonderful places. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason! I feel this book can totally relate to other design fields. I'll let you borrow it when I'm done, if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I know you will achieve your goals. PS - is that a new background for your blog? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In order to design well, you need to understand the components of what you are designing for."

    

This reminds me of the process of Human Interface design, which is a boggling complex endeavor because it not only incorporates all the general concepts of design, but requires entering into the world-view of the target audience and designing in a way that speaks their specific language.

    

It sounds to me like you won't have any choice *but* to be a great designer. Design has its hooks in you and I don't think it's going to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Hecox Thanks! It will be here to stay until I have the time to mess around and make it personalized. :0

    @Howard Thanks! I know you're going to be a great designer, too. I wanted to tell you that the UFO you made for the events poster was AMAZING! It was definitely in my top 3 favorites.

    ReplyDelete